Thursday, April 8, 2010

Chewy Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies

I know, everybody has a favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. And I actually do have one, but sadly it is missing.  It was given to me by my friend Tara Lee years ago.  It traveled with me through various moves, culinary school, teaching and then, suddenly in a horrific twist of fate, I lost it in a move ten years ago.  Thank goodness for Facebook, because I've got an email out to her to obtain the recipe again; and yes, I shall share it once I obtain it.  In the meantime, I've been on a quest to recreate that recipe - much to my office peep's delight.  This one is made with milk chocolate chips which give the cookie a milder, mellower yet richer flavor.  What makes the cookie so chewy is the brown sugar.  Sugar has moistening and tenderizing properties and helps give baked cookies that great mouth feel we all love in a cookie.  But then, what cookie doesn't give great mouth feel.....

Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies

4 dozen cookies


2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 cups dark brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
16 oz package of Ghiradelli milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar until it is nice and fluffy, about 4 minutes.  Add both eggs and vanilla and beat for an additional 2 minutes. Add baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour until cookie batter is fully incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips until well distributed. The cookie batter should be somewhat thick.

Using an ice cream scoop that holds 2 tablespoons of dough scoop cookie batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake the cookis for 14 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Remove from heat and allow the cookies to stay on the cookie sheet for an additional 2 minutes. Pick up the parchment paper with the cookies still on top and transfer to a cool surface allowing the cookies to cool for an additional 3 minutes before consuming. Enjoy!

Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment