Monday, February 15, 2010

Gayle's Dutch Meatloaf

When the office peeps and I go out to lunch, we definitely have our favorite haunts. One of the places that we actually have not been to in a long time (please note office peeps – this must change and soon) is called called Bogue’s. Bogue’s is an institution here in Birmingham and is considered a typical Southern “meat and three” lunch place. What’s a “meat and three” you ask? Well, it’s a diner of sorts where you get your choice of the meat du jour and three accompanying sides of vegetables. This is a place where you get good, down-home, stick to your ribs, country cooking. We are talking collard greens, green beans, butter beans, fried chicken, cat fish, etc. Oh, and macaroni and cheese is considered a vegetable (I know, I don’t get it either). But, without a doubt, the best thing on Bogue’s menu is their meatloaf. Its served on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Oh.my.God. It is so darn good. Over lunch at Bogue’s one day I happened to mention that I wish my meatloaf tasted as good. My dear friend Kathy spoke up immediately. She had her mother’s meatloaf recipe and said it tasted just.like.Bogue’s. And she was right. The story goes that Kathy’s mother Gayle got the recipe years ago from a girlfriend and she passed it on to her daughters. I’m so glad I met Kathy, because she has shared it with me and with her permission, I with her permission I'm sharing it with you!

Gayle’s Dutch Meatloaf
Serves 6

Meatloaf Mixture:

1 ½ lb ground beef
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 oz tomato sauce
1 egg beaten
1 ½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper

Tomato Glaze:

4 oz tomato sauce
2 tablespoons mustard (I used Dijon mustard)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, onion, 4 oz tomato sauce and remaining ingredients and form into a loaf. Place on a rack and bake for 1 hour.

Meanwhile, combine tomato glaze ingredients thoroughly. Cook meatloaf for an additional 15 minutes, basting every 5 minutes with tomato sauce mixture.

Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment